Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DEAD END DRIVE-IN (1986)

"Dead End Drive-In"’s poster art dissuaded me from picking the tape up for years. I mean, look at that shit? Every time I’d pass by that box, I imagined the movie had something to do with a New Wave faggot terrorizing an In-N-Out Burger after a deep-fryer mishap involving the football team turns him psycho. Almost 20 years later, that sounds like the best fucking movie that was never made. And it’s probably fortunate that I didn’t wait until now to see it, because I would have wound up smashing patio furniture out of my inability to cope with disappointment since I am not what you'd called well-adjusted.

Thankfully, I sat through this thing at age 13, and only because I’d torn through every other title in the horror section. Literally, Salzer’s horror section had nothing else to offer other than "Dead End Drive-In" at that point. But once this sucker got rolling, my bottom of the barrel expectations didn't just get a slap on the wrist. They got dragged through gravel like an effeminate East-Texas teenager.

File under “dystopian future,” this surprisingly strong Australian effort’s heavy hand plucks a shuck of DNA off the "Mad Max" scalp, and possibly even a few strands from "Suburbia."Loaded with satire and a definite affinity toward B-horror, this one teases the black comedy borderline with several steps.

When the world descends into economic tribulation, chaotic youth are corralled into a drive-in theater, where they are tranquilized with fast food and shitty movies. However, the film’s protagonist, Crabs, has no intention of succumbing to a steady diet of shit, and plans to resist and escape.

For a film of this class, the production values are pleasantly deceptive. The script and direction, too, are above par, but might be lost on humorless die-hard horror fans. Overall this production has aged well, value even gaining momentum with passing time. Check out the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment