Friday, April 22, 2011

I'D DIE ON THE CROSS FOR A CADBURY EGG RIGHT ABOUT NOW

For those that have noticed that my output here has been slow for the last couple of months, I apologize. Time has grown scarce as a number of the projects I have undertaken are starting to take off and require a lot more focus and energy. I'm going to try to at least keep posting any new arrivals I get going forward so this thing doesn't just dry up. I figured today would be a great time to start as I received an Easter package in the mail this morning containing some pretty rad stuff.

Atmosphere and humor are in proportion to gore in this splendid horror comedy. Cannibal brothers Michael and George slice and dice their way through various women in order to reconstruct an Egyptian deity. The parts they don't use wind up on the menu at their diner. I'd been struggling to find a reasonably priced copy that didn't have much wear, so I was stoked to find this gifted tape in pristine, shrink-wrapped condition.



I was very happy to find a copy of the Warner Brothers release of this Mexican horror at the bottom of the box. Though I've never actually seen this film, I've lost plenty of bids on it in the past. The story apparently has something to do with a haunted monastery, where some monks were forced to leap to their death by a greedy land baron. Outsiders enter the town on a quest to uncover their past. The disappearance of locals seems to coincidence with their arrival, which doesn't endear them to the town's folk. Starring Russ Tamblyn, a sign of quality. Couldn't find a trailer, so here's the first few minutes of the film.



I actually already had a copy of this United Home Video clamshell release, but fuck it, I'll take another one. This is one of my most prized tapes, and it's always wonderful to have a backup. If you have not seen this film, I urge you to find a copy on any format. Two words: wolf tits.



DEATH SHIP (1980)
Stoked beyond words to finally get my hands on a copy of this Embassy release. After a luxury liner collides with a phantom ship, only a handful of its guests survive. Drifting on a life boat, they once again encounter a mysterious ghost ship, and have no other option than to board. Eventually, we learn that it is a Nazi ship, haunted by a nefarious presence intent on killing those it encounters. People cheap shot this one a lot. Nevertheless, great plot, genuinely strong atmosphere, and a wonderful cast, including George Kennedy and Richard Crenna, make it a buoyant affair.



This made-for-TV movie which details the activities and apprehension of serial killer John Wayne Gacy has some outrageously creepy moments, mainly thanks to the naturally intimidating Brian Dennehy. The large and rugged Dennehy was an unlikely choice to play the curmudgeonly boy killer, but the slight revision of Gacy's stature probably makes the story FEEL more accurate. The scene in his den with the rope trick is particularly must see. At some point, Dennehy was actually contacted by Gacy regarding the film. Whether or not Gacy actually saw the film, I'm not too sure. But via letter, he wrote to Mr. Dennehy the following comment: "Sorry you would participate in this fraud [the film]. You've always been one of my favorite actors. As for the 33 bodies that were discovered, lots of people had access to that crawlspace."


No comments:

Post a Comment