Wednesday, February 1, 2012

DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN (SUPER VIDEO - 1971)

I first became aware of this film when I was a little kid, and I was at the height of my Universal horror obsession. I would grab virtually any title off the shelf if it had something to do with Frankenstein or Dracula, which lead me to Hammer, and even a lot of weird Japanese shit. I was rarely ever forbade from bringing any title home. I even got away with snagging a lot of erotic vampire shit during that time. However, this was one that did not make it past my mother. I remember seeing the huge Super Video box on the video store shelf as a child. I immediately grabbed it, but when my mom saw it, she told me it was too gory for me. She had apparently seen it as a kid at the old Mayfair theater in Ventura, and remembered it being pretty visceral. In fact, I still remember her describing a scene where Dracula rips the monster's arm off, which apparently traumatized her. Obviously, this was only an exaggeration from her childhood memory, but it only made me want to see it even more.

Years later, I saw this as an Al Adamson fan and loved it. Imagine my joy at finding this copy of the Super Video tape online for only a few measly bucks. The tape is in great shape, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment